Wednesday 22 January 2014

The Photographers Gallery presents...


“A picture means I know where I was every minute. That's why I take pictures. It's a visual diary.” Andy Warhol 


Painter, colourist and filmmaker, Andy Warhol (1928-1987) had photography always close to his heart. On the 70th, the artist focused his work , using a Polaroid, in celebrities portraits. Nevertheless, it was in 1976 when Warhol bought a 35mm black and white film. He carried this camera until his death, taking up to 36 frames per day.

So, Warhol invented the Instagram's idea decades ago. Capturing everyday and anytime details, people, street scenes, interiors, landscapes or friends.

An exhibition at the Photographers’ Gallery exposes more than 50 Warhol's black-and-white prints from 1976 until 1987. But that's not all.

"I drifted along taking shots when I could score.
I ended up hooked". (William S. Burroughs, Junky)

The Gallery has, as well, William S. Burroughs works. Besides he was well known because of his work as a novelist, short story writer, essayist, and painter, Borroughs (1914-1997) was a recognised photographer. Taking Shots is the first worldwide exhibition to focus on Burroughs’ photography and offers a new vision of his artistic and creative processes.

"I love industry. Pipes. I love fluid and smoke. I love man-made things. I like to see people hard at work, and I like to see sludge and man-made waste." David Lynch

The third of these 20th-century American icons is the film director, television director, visual artist, musician and actor David Lynch. His pictures are taken in Poland, Germany, England, New York and New Jersey and his works are black and white interiors and exteriors of industrial structures.

The three individual exhibitions will be in the Photographers' Gallery until the 30th of March. The admission is £4. Free on Monday, from 10.00-18.00, and Thursday, from 18.00-20.00.

No comments:

Post a Comment