Friday 3 May 2013

Whitechapel Murders

Tourists maybe don’t know what or where Whitechapel is, but Londoners have knowledge of this district, for sure. Situated in East London, in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets, it is a poor–working class neighbourhood. In its streets you can find a great diversity. Bangladeshis define the 52% of the community total inhabitants. A really particular neighbourhood full of colours, fruit stands, people and life.

But this zone, years ago, it was really famous because of some horrible crimes. Within its boundaries, from 3rd April of 1888 to 13th February of 1891, the Whitechapel murders happened. Eleven unsolved homicides, five of them prostitutes, were attributed to a serial killer known as Jack the Ripper.

It happened more than one century ago, but the mystery is still present.

Anne Mare Nichols, known as Polly, was killed the 31st of August 1888. The victim was a 42 years old prostitute. Weeks before, other two prostitutes, Martha Tabra and Emma Smith, were assassinated in the same neighbourhood, but they are not included in the canonical five. The terror, at that time, took over Whitechapel.

Annie Chapman was found in Spitalfields, at 6 in the morning on Saturday 8 th of September. Her abdomen was rip ed and her uterus had been removed.

On 25th of September, an anonymous writer sent a letter called «Dear Boss» to the Central News Agency. The note was signed by « Jack the Ripper ».

 
“Dear Boss, I keep on hearing the police have caught me but they wont fix me just yet. I have laughed when they look so clever and talk about being on the right track. That joke about Leather Apron gave me real fits. I am down on whores and I shant quit ripping them till I do get buckled. Grand work the last job was. I gave the lady no time to squeal. How can they catch me now. I love my work and want to start again. You will soon hear of me with my funny little games. I saved some of the proper redstuff in a ginger beer bottle over the last job to write with but it went thick like glue and I cant use it. Red ink is fit enough I hope ha. ha. The next job I do I shall clip the ladys ears off and send to the police officers just for jolly wouldn't you. Keep this letter back till I do a bit more work, then give it out straight. My knife's so nice and sharp I want to get to work right away if I get a chance. Good Luck. Yours truly Jack the Ripper
Dont mind me giving the trade name.
PS Wasnt good enough to post this before I got all the red ink off my hands
curse it No luck yet. They say I'm a doctor now. ha ha”

Five days before, Elisabeth Stride, a Swedish prostitute, was killed in Dutfield's Yard. The cause of her death was one clear-cut incision on the left side of her neck. Probably Jack was discovered in the meanwhile and because of that he didn't mutilate her abdomen. Witness said that they saw a man about 30 years old, with a briefcase, hat, black hair and a moustache. About forty five minutes later, another body was found in Mitre Square, in the City of London. Catherine Eddowes had the abdomen ripped and her kidney and uterus had
been dislodged.

Mary Jane Kelly’s body was found in her bed, a room at 13 Miller’s Court, on 9th November. Her abdomen was empty and her heart was missing.

Jack has become the most famous serial killer in History, a legend. His name remembers the fog, the Victorian epoch, a shadow and a hat. Books, songs, films... Everyone wants to know something about this man, or woman. Everyone wants to solve this mystery. 

No comments:

Post a Comment